Sunday, June 13, 2010

So...Hunter and I have gotten the "project bug." I am loving all of these little projects that I can do during the summer. I was talking with a friend the other day who gave me a little idea (thanks Jennie!)...a chalkboard to write memos, verses, the nights menu, or whatever your heart desires. I knew that Hunter would go for something that would not cost a lot of money but would cover another wall in the empty walled kitchen. All that to say, my "project bug" is getting bigger and bigger. This literally was an easy project and Hunter and I had a great time doing it together.


Ok, so we spent about an hour and a half at Home Depot buying supplies, well I take that back. About an hour at Home Depot and then to Sonic for Happy Hour. This is becoming a Nelson guilty pleasure. We both can't resist a Cherry Limeade. Back to the project. For your chalkboard you will need: Chalkboard paint (you can buy this at any home store), rollers, two different colors of paint(if you plan to distress yours), sand paper, molding, and plywood.


So our work space is not exquisite, but you get the picture. Large piece of plywood.

This is the molding that we choose. There were tons of options, but again we went with the cheaper options. This is about to be painted.




After the first coat of paint. We went with a light/grayish brown.


While the molding was drying, I did several coats of blackboard paint onto the plywood. This is where the roller comes into play.

As the blackboard paint was drying, I went back to my other "fine" workstation. I painted the molding with a light blue color(Ozone from Behr paint).


I had to take a break and go get ice cream while the paint dried. I worked hard...right? haha. After you have painted both (or one) color on your molding use sand paper to distress the molding. All it takes is you running the sand paper over the molding.



Make sure you nail it all together....and tada...chalkboard...I will upload another picture in better light....and with writing...


More fun "projects" to come this summer. Thank you to all my friends who have inspired me to become more "projecty". If that is a word...


Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment